Atari Nerd Inter-Web Mashup-up: Dec 4, 2008
What’s new (and old) in the world of Atari – Press releases, blogs, messages boards sites and more…
This week we have A LOT of news from Atari (many older game franchises revived); A lot of ST, 2600, and 800 game reviews and retrospectives; a Leo Laporte (yes, THAT leoville.com Leo Laporte) review of Mule; A free Atari game development system; Another portable 2600 mod;WOW on the 2600; new emulator releases; and so much more I can’t list it all.
Announcements from the Current Atari
– Atari buys the rights to Sam and Max, a great adventure franchise from the last 80’s early 90’s.
– Atari Buys the rights to Tale of Despereaux (now defunct, but with now life blood being pumped in).
– Atari displeased with how used game sales hurt publishers (great old Atari home computers logo used in this story!!!)
– CVG reports the Chronicles of Riddick team saying "The Move To Atari Has Been Fantastic".
– Atari plans to move to mostly on-line distribution over time.
– Gamespy reports that Atari is reviving the Baldur’s Gate, Test Drive, and Never Winter Nights franchises.
– Atari distance themselves from sleazy anti-piracy forces and practices in the UK.
-The wonderful Joy Of Sticks site has a slew of new content for your Atari ST enjoyment: A great article of ST development teams of yesteryear, A Rockford Review, PicrossST, and Oids Review (one of my favorite games of all time).
– Did you know that Leo Laporte used to write form Hi-Res Magazine? His Atari 800 MULE Review (from back in the day) is 1/2 way down the page.
– Midway, the actual owner of Atari Games Coin-ops, has been sold for $100,000 by Sumner Redstone to a private investor.
– Atari has released a free game development system. Complete with 3d editors, compilers, debugger, script editor, etc. Called Atari Lite-C, the free version can be used for non-commercial purposes only.
– The Atari Gear 2600 by Chris Koopa is a VCS crammed into a Game Gear case! Nice mod, Chris!
– EmuHQ reports that there is a new version of the great ST emulator (for multiple systems), Hatari. Hatari is open source and does Falcon Emulation (sweet!).Check out the SourceForge page.
– It looks like Molten Core have actually released a World Of War Craft port on the 2600. You should try this via with the Legacy Engineering Group’s Atari CX30 replica UBS Joystick.
– Retro Thing has a nice write up on the Androbot – a classic 80’s device that allowed 2600 owners to control a robot.
– Lexus uses Atari 2600 Centipede in a new Christmas commercial.
– The Gleaming Goat Blog as a new entry with some love for 2600 games.
– David Parrak give a shout out to the 800 in his post of devolving from Hardcore to casual gamer…David, you are MIDCORE!
– A new version of Virtual Jaguar has been released.
– Atari Mania Random 800 Game – Night Strike! – TG Software’s Missile Command like game
– Atari Legend featured ST Game- Paramax.- I have never tried this one, but it looks like a sweet Gauntlet adventure style game.
– Little Green Desktop’s game of the Minute – Rolling Thunder – A Side scrolling platform blaster.